NURSING WORKER SAFETY
This module provides a broad overview of OHS safety in nursing including a definition of the most common risks and hazards in nursing and how to prevent these risks injuring someone.
The module covers:
- The most common hazards and risks in nursing work.
- What the individual can do to prevent these risks injuring them or someone else, as well as how to prevent illness, and
- Broader safe work principles.
The module topics include:
- Manual Handling, including:
- Some of the most common handling risks
- Explanation of Minimal or ‘No Lift Policy’
- Safe Lifting Techniques
- Infection Control, including:
- Use of gloves and hand washing
- Cleaning blood and bodily fluids
- Appropriate response to exposure
- Hazardous substances and the MSDS
- Identifying and preventing occupational violence and an occupational violence plan
- Fire and Emergency Response Procedure
- Workplace stress, including a definition, common causes, how to identify and manage workplace stress and some helpful tips.